English for speakers of other languages (ESOL) is taught mostly in further education colleges and community centres. These courses are for immigrants to the UK to help them to find work, study and live in the UK

ESOL is also important for people who wish to gain British citizenship (Click here for more info)

In order to apply for an ESOL course you should contact your local further education college. Courses generally begin in September. If you are having trouble finding a college offering a suitable ESOL course, you should ask your local Jobcentre Plus for assistance. Most ESOL courses are free of charge to people who are in receipt of JSA (Jobseeker’s Allowance) and ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) but those on other benefits may have to pay some of the course fees

Back to English Language