Permanent Social Housing

Anyone who has Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection (but not Discretionary Leave to Remain) can apply for permanent local authority housing just like a British citizen. However, there are so many people who want housing that the local authority can only offer it to the people who need it most desperately.

You can get an application form from your local authority housing department. The local authority will decide how much you need accommodation based on your personal circumstances, and will award you a certain number of priority points. For example, you will be high up on the waiting list if you are living in extremely overcrowded, or unsanitary conditions which are damaging your health. However, it can take years to get permanent social housing so it is not a realistic option if you are homeless or threatened with homelessness.

You should still complete the form to go on the waiting list though for the future. If you need assistance in completing the form please contact us so we can help you .

Back to Social Housing