Student Finance (England) for Refugees – Eligibility

You will be eligible for full Student Support if you satisfy all the following:

(a) you must be ordinarily resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course; and

(b) you must:

  • have been recognised as a refugee by the UK Government and have remained ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands since then; or
  • be the spouse / civil partner of such a refugee and have been in that relationship on the date on which he/she made his/her application for asylum; or
  • be the child of such a refugee, or the child of such a refugee’s spouse / civil partner, and be able to show that on the date that refugee made his/her application for asylum, you were:
    • under 18 years of age; and
    • the refugee was your parent, or your parent’s spouse / civil partner.

If your permission to be in the UK has run out, you are still eligible for Student Support if you can show that you applied to extend or change your immigration status before your permission to be here expired, and you are still waiting for a decision on that application, or that you are in the process of appealing against a Home Office decision to refuse you further immigration permission.

Becoming eligible

If you are, or if your parent (or your parent’s spouse / civil partner) is, or your own spouse / civil partner is, granted refugee status after the start of your course, seek advice about whether you will become eligible for Student Support.

Refugee Status: where someone gains British citizenship

The Immigration Rules revoke someone’s Refugee Status once s/he subsequently obtains a new nationality (when a refugee gains British citizenship for example). If you have, or a relevant family member has, Refugee Status and you are, or the person with that status is, considering applying for British (or any other) citizenship, you should be aware that such an application could have an effect on your fees status or your eligibility for Student Support.


Our education team is an expert in Student affairs across England and Wales, and always available to help.

Please contact us if you require any advice regarding your eligibility or assistance with your application for Student Support.


Source: UKCISA

One Comment

  • Mohammed Mohammed Khalil

    Good morning everyone, I am Syrian refugee from Roja Ava Afrin. ( Aleppo).
    I am living in the UK in city Hull. I want county my education as I been in Syria studying Law, as I know I couldn’t finished because of the war.
    I have with me from Syria my high school degree and it’s translator already, and I passed my inter 3 level ESOL English language.
    I want to IELTS courses in London because I find organisation do free for Refgeuss, and this courses will started in the ended this month.
    So I want really you help to find for me accommodation in some where in London.
    I have my UK residence.

    Thanks for listening to me, and I am very very glad because I don’t know about this organisation for Kurdish.
    Please if you want more information this my phone number 07933841527.

    I looking forward to hearing from you.

    Yours sincerely

    Harabaji Kurd W Kurdistan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.