City University London’s recent REF 2014 results show a marked increase in the quality of our research output, with over 75% of our submissions rated as being world-leading or internationally excellent. Building on the success of our REF2014 submission, the University is pleased to offer over 20 doctoral studentships across the University.
If you wish to be considered for a Studentship you should also discuss your proposal with the relevant School to establish whether you can be supported.
The University provides a broad research and enterprise development programme to support the development of research skills.
Please read the following information carefully. Each School has its own application arrangements and deadlines.
School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering: 6 Doctoral Studentships
The School of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering is inviting applications for 6 full-time, three-year doctoral studentships for 2015/16 entry. Three of the studentships are funded by The George Daniels’ Educational Trust; the other three are funded by the School.
REF 2014 highlighted the world class quality of research undertaken in the School and recognised the impact it has on all areas of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering. These studentships will further enhance our research and applications are welcome from individuals wishing to join our vibrant research community to pursue cutting-edge research in any of the School’s key research areas.
What is offered
A doctoral studentship provides
- an annual bursary (£16,000 in 2015/16);
- a full tuition fee waiver. Applications are welcome from overseas applicants but the difference between overseas and UK fee must be covered by the applicant or by the supervisor (with prior agreement).
Successful applicants will be expected to provide 3 hours per week support for teaching in the School. Continuation of the studentship after the first year is subject to confirmation of satisfactory progress.
Continuation of the award after the first year is subject to confirmation by the relevant School of satisfactory progress.
Applications are sought from exceptional UK, EU and international graduates and will be awarded on the basis of outstanding academic achievement and the potential to produce cutting edge-research.
- Applicants must hold at least a 2.1 honours degree or merit level Masters degree in a relevant subject (or international equivalent)
- Applicants whose first language is not English must have achieved at least 6.5 in IELTS or a recognised equivalent
- Applicants must not be currently registered as a doctoral student at City University London or any other academic institution
How to apply
You are strongly advised to discuss your application in advance with a potential supervisor in the School in order to deterrmine whether we can offer supervision in your chosen research area. Applications must consist of the following:
- A completed Research Degree application form
- A 3 page research proposal. This should include (a) your research question(s), (b) background literature and motivation for the research and (c) methodology/work plan.
- Proof of academic qualifications, i.e. grade transcripts from your previous degree(s)
- Proof of English language proficiency if you do not speak English as your first language
Two confidential references (one of which must be an academic reference)
The above documents should be compiled into a single document and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 25th May 2015.